Thursday, June 13, 2013

Black Bean and Spinach Enchiladas

I learned to make enchiladas at my friend Molly's house once. She made two huge trays for her birthday party. They were ridiculously delicious, and I had no idea how simple they were to make. I'm by no means claiming this dish to be "authentic" Mexican cuisine. This is authentic Rose cuisine, a fusion of things that taste with memories that feel good.

I think this is the recipe I used for the sauce. I think I doubled it and put half in the freezer, because that's were I got this particular batch of sauce. I've also used jarred salsa verde for enchiladas, which is delicious.

So, here's what I do:
In a bowl, combine 2 cups cooked black beans, 1 cup sweet corn (frozen corn, defrosted), and 1 package of frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and drained, with 1 cup sour cream, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon granulated garlic, and some salt and pepper. Mix it all up nice. This is the filling.


You need a nice rectangular baking dish. I like ceramic. I use the little corn tortillas (MUST be corn). Scoop about 1/3 C of the filling into each tortilla, roll it gently, and set it in the baking dish, rolled side down. Fill your dish thus. Cover with a quart of enchilada sauce. Top with shredded cheese- I use a blend of Monterey Jack and cheddar. Bake at 350 F for about 45 minutes to an hour, until the cheese is all melty and starts to brown. Let cool for several minutes before eating.
That's it! Cheers!

No comments: